In 2022, Spillemyndigheden, Denmark's gambling regulator, reported a 7.9% rise in gambling revenue across all sectors compared to the previous year. The total revenue for the year was DKK6.72bn, an increase from the DKK6.23bn figure in the prior year. This translates to around £801.3m/€903.1m/$969.2m according to the conversion rates when writing.
During the year, regulated online casinos recorded an impressive DKK2.90bn in revenue, experiencing a 3.2% rise compared to the year before. Interestingly, this source mainly contributed to the country's total gambling revenue.
As expected, online slots contributed 73.4% of the total revenue, with roulette following at a distant second with 8.2%. 7.2% was from blackjack, 3.5% from bingo, and 3.2% was from other casino games.
The report from Spillemyndigheden further shows that 61.1% of the online casino income was from online mobile casinos, with the remaining 38.9% from desktop-based gaming.
Meanwhile, a 3.9% rise in sports betting revenue was registered, amounting to DKK2.32bn. Most of this, 62.5%, was generated through mobile sportsbooks, with desktop bettors generating 10.8%. Denmark's retail betting shops contributed 26.7%.
The regulator says that revenue from land-based slots increased by 47.6% to DKK1.15bn in 2022. The majority of this income, 77.3%, was from slot-dedicated halls, with the rest collected from restaurant machines.
Revenue from licensed land-based casinos rose sharply by 58.6%, amounting to DKK349m. According to Spillemyndigheden, this rise is due to the lifting of all Covid-19 related restrictions on gambling establishments in the prior year.
Lastly, the Danish Gambling Authority reported a surge in the total number of participants in the national Rofus self-exclusion program. The regulator recorded a 27.8% rise to 38,921 by the end of 2022.
Out of the individuals who enrolled, male participants were 75.4%, with women representing 24.6%. Moreover, 66.1% of users on Rofus have excluded themselves permanently.